Once, a client of mine tried to introduce me to his team. He looked over at me and said, “I don’t know what to call you because you won’t tell me.”
I’ve had this problem for several years, but I think I’m starting to get a handle on it. I am a coach and a consultant, but I’m also a Divine Mirror, an asker of hard questions, and the best “Get the hell out of my way, I’m doing big stuff” Empowerer you could ever want.
Here’s what I’m interested in:
- Integrity before productivity
- Self-management instead of time management
- Integrity and perseverance before sales and marketing planning
- Empathy, not efficiency (especially with people)
- Honest communication rather than avoidance
- Purpose before planning
- Infrastructure before systems
- Meaning, not materialism
- Awareness before organizing
- Letting go rather than grasping and striving
- Passion before planning
- Authentic team-building, continuously and relentlessly
- Technology as a tool, not the be-all/end-all solution
Here’s the deal: before I talk to anyone about anything resembling work, I want to get deeply personal with them (YOU).
I want talk with you about your fears. About your dreams. About your wishes and hopes and what matters to you. I want you to tell me the things you don’t want me to know about you – to walk together right into your terror, your shame, and your frustrations.
And then we can get into productivity, time management, team-building, organization and all those other things. But I have to understand who you are right now before I can help you become who you want to be. And YOU have to understand who you are right now before you can become the person you want to be.
Does that make sense?
Because who you BE affects everything you DO.
I want to connect. I want to dive deep. I want to know way more than “what’s up?” I want to know what you dream about and what scares you shitless.
After we get into that, then the magic can begin.
When you’re ready, I’m ready.
Make Some Room,